Monday, December 19, 2005

Bridal Sewing on the Web

Much to my disappointment, I have not found very many good, comprehensive sites online that deal with bridal sewing. I would like to see a sites with good pictures of dress construction, and sewing techniques for specific bridal fabrics. There are a few helpful sites though. If I have any readers who know of other good sites then the ones below, send them on!

Alicyn Exclusives, the designer for McCall's patterns has some helpful tips on choosing bridal fabric and creating a lace bodice.

Denver Fabrics, in Denver Co. has a few excellent articles on working with Alencon lace, sewing in Horsehair braid in the hem, and Embellishing lace with beads and pearls. All of these articles open up in pdf format for a very nice print out. I printed them out and plan to start a notebook of wedding sewing techniques and information.

The only other good resource I've found online is an article by Susan Khalje, Beyond the Pattern Instructions. It simplifies all the major steps for a big project like a wedding gown and gives a lot of helpful hints.

Of course best and foremost bridal sewing resource available is Susan Khalje's book, Bridal Couture: Fine Sewing Techniques for Wedding Gowns and Evening Wear and it answers most of my questions. It is my guidebook, and I've been reading it cover to cover. =)

As I begin to sew my dress, I will be posting lots of pictures and construction details. Perhaps it will be of some use to someone else who is jumping into a wedding dress project like myself!

Jessica

No comments:

Post a Comment