Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Treasures, Part 1

Treasures from the Closet, Part 1


Every once in awhile I get this idea in my head that I should get out my pleater and smock Emily a dress. After all, she won't stay little for long, and I have never made her a smocked dress. The last time I smocked a dress was about six years ago when Ellen was five.

I've been thinking about smocking for several months now, and ever since Cindy and I commented with each other on the subject, the idea has not left my mind. And so--I have decided to make Emily a smocked dress for Easter. I ordered some fabric and have decided on the pattern to use. More on that to come.

This week while going through outgrown clothes in storage, looking for something for Emmy to wear (she's been growing like a weed!), I came across several of the dresses that I've smocked in the past. I decided that I'm going to start a series of posts showcasing the dresses that I've made in the past, more specifically, the smocked and embroidered dresses that I've sewn over the years. Perhaps this will keep me motivated to start--and finish--the dress I have in mind for Easter. Perhaps it will inspire someone else to try their hand at smocking.

I thought it would be appropriate to start the first of these posts with the very first dress I ever smocked. That pattern I used is Chery Williams Basic Yoke Dress pattern, and the fabric is a pale blue batiste. The smocking plate is called Beautiful Bows by Ellen McCarn. I made this dress in 1994 for Katie who was 4 years old at the time. For fun I have included a picture of our family that was taken in July 1994 in which Katie is wearing the blue dress. On a side note, I also sewed my dress and Jessica and Heather's jumpers. In the picture baby Matthew is wearing a Childrens Corner pattern, Jeffrey, that I also made. Instead of smocking, I stitched the insert with shadow embroidery which was also a favorite pastime.

Okay Cindy, it's time to dig out your pleater. I'm unearthing mine!
Ruth

3 comments:

  1. What a neat picture! Your dress is beautiful! I would love to learn to smock. The closest place that I have found is in Grapevine, Tx which is about 2 1/2 hours from here. :o( I am looking forward to seeing all of your other treasures!

    Love, Heather

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my soul! Absolutely gorgeous! I really want to learn to smock!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ruth,

    Beautiful dress!!!! I have that same pattern!!! Ok......now I'll really have to dig out the pleater so we can encourage each other on. I am now officially on the look out for fabrics and patterns. I can't wait to see what other treasures are in your closet!!!!

    ReplyDelete